What Are the Top Winter HVAC Safety Hazards to Look For?

While home safety can’t be limited to any one season, specific winter HVAC safety hazards naturally come to the forefront at this time of year. Quite naturally, these winter HVAC safety hazards are related to home heating. Most houses today are heated by natural gas. These furnaces are designed for safe use and include safeguards to prevent mishaps. However, staying aware of your heating system’s potential role in winter HVAC safety hazards by taking steps to minimize dangers is still the role of every responsible homeowner.

Professional Maintenance Comes First

The first step should always be scheduling annual preventive furnace maintenance. This service performed by a qualified HVAC contractor includes a comprehensive inspection and testing to verify safe operation of all heating functions. In addition, it includes a list of manufacturer-recommended procedures that help ensure maximum heating efficiency and low operating costs. Other potential winter HVAC safety hazards to stay aware of this winter include:


A furnace may overheat due to obstructed airflow. This could be caused by severely clogged system airflow or another defect that reduces proper air circulation through the furnace. Furnaces typically incorporate heat sensors that automatically shut down the unit if overheating occurs. Service by a qualified HVAC contractor should always be summoned before attempting to use the furnace after any automatic shutdown for any reason.

Carbon Monoxide (CO)

This is a colorless, odorless gas that is a byproduct of furnace combustion, and it can be deadly if inhaled. In a furnace that’s operating properly, carbon monoxide is exhausted up the furnace vent and into outside air. However, certain conditions such as a cracked furnace heat exchanger or an obstructed furnace vent pipe could cause carbon monoxide to leak into living spaces. Annual furnace maintenance by a qualified technician, as well as ensuring that carbon monoxide detectors are properly located throughout the house and tested monthly, are vital steps to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.

For professional service to eliminate HVAC winter safety hazards, contact Paitson Bros., the Wabash Valley’s source for safe heating, cooling, and indoor air quality since 1922.

This entry was posted in HVAC System and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

What is 0 + 0 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
  • Click Here, For
  • » Call Us: 1 (812) 232-2347

  • How Can We Help?

    We're glad to answer questions... just click below for our contact form:

    Free Estimate

    Schedule Service

  • Recent Posts

  • Topics

  • Life's Journey &quo...
    By Jeff Paitson
  • About Jeff

    Jeff Paitson Jeff Paitson is a third generation business owner who continues to run the business with the same values that have been passed down from previous generations since 1922.

    Jeff’s belief is that the business belongs to Jesus Christ; therefore 10 percent of the company’s profits go toward the Maryland Community Church.

    Jeff is a Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce member and in his spare time, he enjoys photography.
    More »
  • About Ethan

    Ethan Ethan Rayburn is a lifelong resident of Terre Haute and a 2005 graduate of Purdue University.

    An Eagle Scout, Ethan spent four years as a non-profit executive with the Boy Scouts of America before joining Paitson Bros. as a comfort advisor and later General Manager. In that role, Ethan has brought a renewed enthusiasm for customer care, integrity, value, and service to Paitson Bros. Heating & Air Conditioning.

    Ethan enjoys singing and was a member of the Purdue Varsity Glee Club. He also enjoys playing and coaching soccer, spending time with his family and two young boys, and volunteering his time and resources with his church, Terre Haute First Baptist Church, which he has attended from a very young age.
    More »