Did You Know That Your HVAC Unit Can Pose Safety Hazards?

HVAC safety hazardsHVAC safety hazards often aren’t mentioned when it comes to possible dangers inside a house. That’s probably because residential heating and cooling components have been refined over the years to be safe under most common circumstances. Nevertheless, HVAC service professionals are careful to protect themselves from potential hazards that may be present in a HVAC system. Homeowners should also be aware of certain dangers.

  • Electricity. Electrical power is present in all HVAC components, including a gas-fired furnace. The system blower fan located in the indoor air handler uses standard electrical power, while the outdoor central AC component utilizes a high-voltage, 220-volt circuit. Repair or diagnostic inspection of HVAC components should be left to qualified service technicians only.
  • Natural gas. Leaking natural gas from a furnace (or appliance) can be explosive. It’s also hazardous to inhale. The pungent odor added to natural gas alerts you to a leak or other malfunction. If you notice this odor, get all occupants out of the house and call the fire department or your local gas company immediately.
  • Carbon monoxide. A byproduct of natural gas combustion in a gas-fired furnace, carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that can be fatal if it accumulates inside a structure. Under certain circumstances, CO gas can enter the HVAC airflow through a cracked furnace heat exchanger, posing a hazard to residents. Annual furnace preventive maintenance by your HVAC contractor includes inspection of the heat exchanger, as well as testing for CO gas in the airflow. Another critical safety measure: Install carbon monoxide detectors in the house per the manufacturer’s recommendations and test monthly.
  • Hazardous areas. Certain HVAC safety hazards are present in specific zones of the house. For example, inspecting ductwork or insulation in the attic could expose you to extreme heat in summer and inhalation of insulation fibers or dust at any time. The crawl space — another frequent location for HVAC ducts — may harbor toxic mold, vermin (including poisonous snakes), stagnant water, and electrical wiring.

For more about potential HVAC safety hazards, ask the pros at Paitson Bros. We’ve been your source for safe heating and cooling since 1922.

This entry was posted in Home Safety and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

What is 0 + 0 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:
  • Click Here, For
  • » Call Us: 1 (812) 232-2347

  • How Can We Help?

    We're glad to answer questions... just click below for our contact form:

    Free Estimate

    Schedule Service

  • Recent Posts

  • Topics

  • Life's Journey &quo...
    By Jeff Paitson
  • About Jeff

    Jeff Paitson Jeff Paitson is a third generation business owner who continues to run the business with the same values that have been passed down from previous generations since 1922.

    Jeff’s belief is that the business belongs to Jesus Christ; therefore 10 percent of the company’s profits go toward the Maryland Community Church.

    Jeff is a Terre Haute Chamber of Commerce member and in his spare time, he enjoys photography.
    More »
  • About Ethan

    Ethan Ethan Rayburn is a lifelong resident of Terre Haute and a 2005 graduate of Purdue University.

    An Eagle Scout, Ethan spent four years as a non-profit executive with the Boy Scouts of America before joining Paitson Bros. as a comfort advisor and later General Manager. In that role, Ethan has brought a renewed enthusiasm for customer care, integrity, value, and service to Paitson Bros. Heating & Air Conditioning.

    Ethan enjoys singing and was a member of the Purdue Varsity Glee Club. He also enjoys playing and coaching soccer, spending time with his family and two young boys, and volunteering his time and resources with his church, Terre Haute First Baptist Church, which he has attended from a very young age.
    More »